Friday 9 August 2013

Old School Glamour MAC EOTD

Today I reached into the deep recesses of my make up draw and dug out some long lost friends. If you are anything like myself you will have at least two rainbows worth of eyeshadow colours but have a handful of absolute favourites, leaving some truly lovely products hiding in the darkness. Here are the pretties I used:




From L to R: Subtle Pigment, Buckwheat, Jest and Gold Spice Metal X Shadow
 The swatches above are all in indoor lighting with no primer. 



The texture of the Metal X shadows divided the cosmetic community when they first launched, they were very much a love hate product. In the pan they almost look a little grainy, but oh my the pigmentation. They are certainly not a traditional cream shadow, they are much firmer and I do find them to be quite smooth, best applied with a finger and a little goes a very long way. It almost looks like foiling when applied, very difficult to dupe, but a metallic orange pigment over a gold cream base would do the trick.


Subtle Pigment is a true beauty, there are plenty of dupes for it out there -  MAC Jig and Jives and Coco Pigments (also both LE) were dead on dupes, also NYX Loose Pearl Eyeshadow in Mocha and NYX Dune eyeshadow are pretty close, MAC's Smoke and Diamonds if you ever got your lucky little hands on it would certainly do the job, as well as MAC's Satin Taupe eyeshadow. The majority of my pigments are small samples I have swapped with Friends - I have about 40 of them. I was such a Piggie Hoarder! The colour can look a little muddy in the pot but it really does bring lightness to the eye, which is why I love it for day time looks. 


Next up are the two Eyeshadows, Buckwheat and Jest. Buckwheat is a red toned brown and I have to be honest, I simply do not reach for it that often but it is an excellent day time crease colour as it's not too dark. As you can see from the swatch it has some golden shimmer to it plus the texture is lovely, it's a frost finish. It's actually quite hard to dupe as it is quite complex, MAC Twinks is similar but darker and leans more towards a plum brown. 

Jest is my most used eyeshadow ever. I use it every day; I highlight with it, Blend Out With it, Use under powder for added luminosity and it it the only eyeshadow that I will wear on it's own. I wash my lid in it and add mascara and maybe a black gel liner. It is the perfect partner to a bold lip, something like Ruby Woo makes for an instant Bombshell look and it's so easy. The swatches really do not do it justice, it brings a lovely fresh, awake, effortless look to your eyemake up, I can not recommend this enough, it is in all my friends make up stashes after they have asked me "What's that eyeshadow you wear All.The.Time.?"  You can pick it up from MAC here

Here is the finished look, I was off to french class and wanted something understated but punchy. If you added black gel eyeliner to this it would be a wonderful evening look. It's inspired by a glamour from another era, a tribute to my older MAC gems! 


P.S. I am growing my eyebrows out - the definition of torture!


All applied to primer - Gold Spice on the lid, Subtle across and above the crease, Buckwheat in the crease, outer corner and lower lash line, all blended out and high lighted with Jest.

Do you have any products from a way back that you should be paying more attention too? Let me know what you find loitering in those forgotten corners of your collection! 

Bisous xoxo

2 comments:

Latasha said...

Oh my gosh! That is such a stunning look!!
Gladly now following, thanks so much for bringing your blog to my attention, i love it!

Latasha x | Today I Adore

Unknown said...

Latasha, Thanks so much for your lovely comments!

Jemma xoxo

Post a Comment

 

Template by Suck My Lolly - Background Image by TotallySevere.com